Winchester: Summer



I’ve lived in Winchester since I came here for University back in 2011 so what’s that, 7 years? There was a brief hiatus in which my best mate and I rented a miniscule, damp flat just off Bedford Place in Southampton. The idea was to have a change of scenery; the reality was that we stayed in all the time smoking cigarettes and watching My So Called Life which we could have done anywhere. But I still worked in Winchester then so yes, for the last 7 years, I’ve been in Winchester one way or another.

I came to university a little later than a lot of people, I was 21, in a long term serious relationship with the intention to keep my head down, get some good grades and heading home as soon as I was finished. By the end of my first year at university I was; single, working a full time job alongside a full time degree, partying with my colleagues after work most nights and with my uni friends’ in-between and loving almost every second of it. Even the seconds I didn’t love at the time, I adore in retrospect. Oh and crucially, my boss at the bar I worked at lent me the first few series of Greys Anatomy on DVD and I’ve never looked back.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I have changed in so many ways in the last 7 years and my values, interests and principles have shifted more times than I can count. Despite finding aspects of my life difficult now, I know that a lot of that is because I examine myself in such minute detail these days and I am doing better- I am a better person for the experiences I’ve had. As the time approaches where I’ll be leaving this city, I’ve been reflecting on my experiences here; the people I’ve met, the things I’ve done, the food I’ve eaten… Mainly the food I’ve eaten. That said, 7 years is plenty of time to gather a few tourist tips for visiting Winchester and I think now is the time to share them.
It's getting warmer and brighter outside. I love the changing of the seasons; you know the feeling when you are doing something really innocuous like just walking home from work and you get that buzz that rises in your stomach to remind you that the world is turning, the seasons are changing, anything is possible? That’s the bit that I love the most. Winchester is a beautiful town all year round. It’s so small that you can quite easily walk from the countryside on the fringes of the city to the Butter Cross on the high street in less than an hour. Here are a few ideas for things to do in the sunshine:

Go for a walk! The River Itchen runs through the city. Here is a route you could try: start at the Willow Tree pub maybe for lunch or just a pint. There used to be a pizza oven in the garden but more importantly, beyond the yard full of tables and gravel, there is a grassy patch that juts out into the river. Shaded by trees, you can have a fortifying drink before you begin your walk. Then cross the road and walk through the wildlife reserve which is called Winnal Moors. Follow the little paths that lead to ponds full of frogs and wild fields full of flowers in the middle of this tiny city. The main walk through the moors comes out in the recreation grounds near the art college. There is a regatta that happens here in the height of summer but the rest of the time if its hot enough you can paddle in the river to cool down- it doesn’t get very deep at all, just watch out for the two swans that patrol the stream! From here you’ll walk back along to North Walls. Now, if there is a market on you might chose to go into town and have a look at the stalls, get a snack maybe- there is a fantastic variety of products for sale and on the first Sunday of every month there is also a vintage market. If you don’t feel like marketing then you can loop back to the pub and walk along Water Lane which is a residential street with houses on one side and the river on the other. Here you can feel envious of everyone who lives here until you get to the end of the road. Cross very carefully- it’s a tricky spot- and pop into the Bishop on theBridge for a refreshment. If its sunny though be warned- it will be packed out in which case, don’t cross the road yet and try No. 5 Bridge Street which has a little court yard garden which is a sun trap.

Now, you can walk along the river towards the Bishops Palace. You will come to an ice cream van- get an ice cream! You could try asking for a witches hat if your heart desires but it is off menu and the ice cream van man may not be feeling flexible… Now you can carry on walking through the Wykham area of Winchester which will mean passing one of my favourite books shops- P & G Wells and a very very posh corner shop that I have gazed through the window of but never been brave enough to enter. Or you can turn left and make your way through a little villagey area of Winchester and down into the water meadows. If you do walk through here then eventually you’ll come out on St Cross which will lead you back to the Wykham Arms. Alternatively if you are feeling energetic you might walk along the river in the sports field which will lead you to the bottom of St Catherine’s Hill. Either way, on your way back, stop at the Queen Inn on Kingsgate Road for a final rehydration session. By the end of this you will have had an energetic and fun walk around some of the prettiest bits of Winchester. And it will have given you the impression of being in a cute little village rather than England’s original capital city.



Honourable summertime mentions must go to:

-The second hand book shop that is in a little room at the back of the cathedral walls. If you wander round the back of the cathedral you’ll see a sign for it. It used to be in a massive shed opposite with sunflowers growing up its side. Proceeds go to the choir I think.
-The round table which is just beyond the Westgate at the top of the High Street. You just gotta hit it if you’re visiting Winchester. I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules. There is a tiny but pretty garden at the back.
-The fields in Badger Farm- if you are a tourist and just visiting for the day then there is no reason why you’d be in Badger Farm unless you had an insatiable desire to be in a Big Sainsburys but if you’re a resident, why not grab a picnic, borrow a dog and go for a wander.

I’ll put some winter recommendations in a separate post which you can find here.
Have you ever visited Winchester? What did you get up to? What did you discover? What did you enjoy? I wanna know!

Comments

Popular Posts